Monday, April 8, 2013

Actions based on love..


In these past couple of months, I have been busy being attached to a school for my practicum to satisfy my Masters graduating requirement for counseling. I have learned something new from my numerous encounters with teachers and students in school.  Different intentions where actions are based out of can have different consequences/effect.  It is common knowledge that the energy of "Love" is one that is very gentle and soothing, however the actions based out of "Love" may not be.  I suppose, one can say that its the intention behind the action that counts.  I had the opportunity to work with 2 teachers with 2 very different methods of approach towards students, but they both achieve similar results, with regards to the student's well being.
    The first a school counselor (my immediate supervisor in the school) who takes the positive gentle approach to help students with their mental well-being.  Students respond very positively to him, and of course from as far as I can tell, the universe takes good care of such gentle caring souls who give much of themselves to the service of others.
   The other a teacher who is also a volleyball coach, who's approach is often the total opposite of the former in most instances.  She would scream/shout/scold her students on the court into submission.  Her students still come back after graduation to thank her for all she has done.  And surprisingly, many of the student's parents support her actions.  Even more surprisingly, the universe takes care of her to make her wishes and life smooth. Both of them are disciples of the Lord (if you know what I mean).
    At first, I was a little puzzled, but gradually I came to see what is happening.  Although for one of them the action may seem harsh and counter to the feeling of what "love" is, her actions are still based on "love".  She spares no thought for herself but treats the charges under her like it was her own children (going by this, she would have close to 40 sons then).  She is very devoted to the Lord, and she is very devoted to her students as well.  Both teachers, in my dictionary can be seen as Great Boddhisattva's in action (according to Buddhist teachings).  They have both shown me that it is not how the action/method present that counts, but the basis/intention of the action.  They were actions based on pure "love" to see their students become better than who they are - selfless actions. I have been truly touched by what I have seen and experienced.
    Conversely, when an action is based on the benefit of the self, is is a selfish action.  That act, can be as gentle as you can imagine it to be, or as harsh as the torturous acts in the abyss of hell.  The actions are still based on the selfish gains, whether if it is to satisfy the wimps of the unconscious personal ego, or deriving pleasure from the performance of the act, ultimately it is a selfish act.
    In short, judge not the action/situation that presents itself to you, or to others, for we may not know what was the original intention of scene that has been presented.  It is the intention that counts MOST!!!!


No comments: