Saturday, November 5, 2011

Why can't my eyes see myself ?


This was the question that was asked in a conversation with a friend.

Me : What do you think the answer is ?
Friend :When I ask myself that question all I see is this lone white flower in a field.

Me :What do you think it means ?
Friend :Drawing a blank here.

Me :What do you think will happen if that flower can see itself ?
Friend :Too absorbed with marveling its own beauty.

Me :So do you see what it all means ?
Friend :No, not really.

The flower's beauty exists, because those who see it would exclaim its beauty. If the flower could see itself as being so beautiful, it might cease to become as beautiful anymore due to neglect (too busy marveling at its own beauty and forgetting that "beauty" is only relative, and can only be conferred upon by others, not the self. As a result, neglecting its responsibility to be a beautiful flower for all to admire and appreciate).

In other words, we cannot see ourselves, because it serves to remind us that we are not important when compared to everyone and everything else around us. It is everyone and everything around us that gives our existence meaning. "I" exist because "you" and everything around me exist.

No comments: